Published: April 10, 2021
This KFC coleslaw recipe is as close to it as possible without actually ordering it straight from the restaurant. The taste is just perfect. Great side dish for dinner or potluck recipe for summer gatherings or brunches and lunches all year round. It’s so good!
One of our favorite things to do is create recipes that mimic restaurants – sometimes we even make a few tweaks so they’re even better! Copycat winners include Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana, Disney Dole Whip, and Sonic Cherry Limeade.
After being in the test kitchen all week, we have designated Friday as the “order in” day. Or is it “neat”? All I know is that I don’t have to cook. Over the past year, DoorDash has become a good friend, where my kids choose what they want and it usually gets delivered within an hour. My daughter chooses something different every week, while my son chooses KFC every single time.
My favorite thing on their menu is the coleslaw, but for some reason it’s not offered as an a la carte side – the only way to get it is to order a meal. So I decided to recreate it. This KFC Cabbage Salad recipe is perfect, or at least as close as possible without going to order it directly from KFC.
KFC Cabbage Salad Recipe
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients for the coleslaw:
- Whole milk
- Milk butter
- Lemon juice
- Apple cider vinegar
- Granular sugar
- Salt and pepper
How to make KFC cabbage salad
It’s very easy to make KFC copycat coleslaw in just a few steps:
(Scroll below for the printable recipe, exact measurements, and video.)
- Finely chop the cabbage, carrots and onion.
- In a large bowl, whisk all the ingredients for the dressing together.
- Add the vegetables to the dressing and mix to coat well.
- Cover and chill in the fridge overnight. Give it a stir before serving.
Important tips for making an authentic KFC coleslaw
- Very finely chop the vegetables: The cabbage, carrots and onions are all very finely chopped, almost the size of a rice. You can chop them with a sharp knife, or if you have a food processor with a grating attachment, use that and then finely chop with a sharp knife.
- There are only 3 vegetables: You can buy a bag of pre-chopped coleslaw and finely chop it if you prefer. But keep in mind that real KFC coleslaw contains only green kale, carrots and onions, so don’t use cabbage packed with red kale or herbs.
- Don’t omit the sugar: Every single ingredient in this recipe matters and what makes the kale salad authentic, including the sugar. Balances the acidity of the vinegar and lemon juice. If you’ve ever eaten their coleslaw, you know it’s a little sweet. This is from sugar.
- Cold at night: At a minimum, the coleslaw should chill in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, but for optimal flavor let it cool overnight. And if you have time (and remember!) Mix it from time to time. This will give you the best results ever.
Go ahead and keep the leftovers
Go on: You can prepare the dressing and vegetable mix up to 5 days in advance and store them separately. Then combine for a fresh batch.
How long does KFC coleslaw last in the refrigerator? Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within 3 days. Always stir before serving. The longer it stays, the smoother it becomes. If this bothers you, simply filter out the excess liquid.
What to serve with coleslaw
We love this coleslaw served with many of our chicken dishes, including air fryer chicken tenders, chicken wings, and grilled chicken. It is also so good on hot dogs and tacos. It is truly delicious on its own!
How to make a KFC coleslaw video
Other side salads we love
KFC Cabbage Salad Recipe
This KFC coleslaw recipe is as close to it as possible without actually ordering it straight from the restaurant. The taste is just perfect!
Portions: 10 (about 1 cup per serving)
For the cabbage salad
- 8 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 1/2 spoons very finely chopped yellow onion
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup granular sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup milk butter
- 2 1/2 spoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 spoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground pepper
Very finely chop the vegetables: the cabbage, carrots and onions are all very finely chopped, almost like rice. You can chop them with a sharp knife, or if you have a food processor with a grating attachment, use that and then finely chop with a sharp knife. (See the note on using a pre-shredded coleslaw blend.)
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing. Whisk until smooth.
Add the cabbage, carrots and onion; mix well until everything is completely covered.
Cover and refrigerate overnight. (If you have time – and remember! – stir occasionally. This will give you the absolute best results.) Stir again before serving and enjoy!
You can buy a bag of pre-chopped coleslaw and finely chop it if you prefer. But keep in mind that real KFC coleslaw contains only green kale, carrots and onions, so don’t use cabbage packed with red kale or herbs.
Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated fats: 2g | trans fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 209mg | Potassium: 133mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 617IU | C vitamin: 22mg | Soccer: 39mg | Iron: 1mg
The nutrition information provided is an automatic calculation and may vary based on the exact products you use and any changes made to the recipe. If these numbers are very important to you, I recommend that you calculate them yourself.